Sunday, June 14, 2009

It is a sad day when.....

A Mother and her 4 year old have to wander the streets of Atlanta at 12:3o am looking for food and shelter. When a women who has no place to go has to sleep in a child's stroller. When a man who has been on the streets for so long has his mental capacity reduced to that of a child. Jesus would have been right there with these same people, loving them, and pouring his life into them. Yet, we turn our heads away when we see them, take a step away when they walk towards us, refuse them when they ask us for money for something to eat. Two songs come to mind when I think of the plight of the homeless in our country. "Give It Up" by High Flight Society and "Disappear" by Anberlin. Both of them are songs written from the standpoint of someone who is hurting and in need of the love that Christ bestowed on us. Somehow, we think that someone else is going to take care of it. We walk by and ignore them.

After seeing that 4 year old child, and having children myself, I realize that I am not doing my part to show Christ's love to these people that need to be loved just like anyone else. So, here is what I propose. I want a group of us to get together, make sandwiches, snacks, get blankets, anything that might help the "disappearing people" and go to them. Not to the shelters, the soup kitchens, but directly to them where they are, on the streets of Atlanta. I suggest a group of people because you never know what to expect, but I also know that God will have us in his hand. Please, if you are interested, let me know. I'm going to try and organize something once I get back from Honduras, so be in prayer until then.

0 comments:

Post a Comment